Vintage Palette Art Creations


Browse other gifts from Zazzle.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Work-In-Progress!

I'm terrible at taking pics of WIPs but here is one that I have to share.........

I bought this vintage wooden frame at a church yard sale in June and I paid a whole 10 cents for it. It was plain wood with a religious print from a calendar inside it and had a piece of cardboard for the backing. On that piece of cardboard, in a man's handwriting, was the name and town of the man that had made it. I asked a man that I used to babysit for if he recognized the name since he was from the same town. It turns out that he did know him and what was even more of a coincidence was that the day he walked by here to tell me that he had checked on the maker of the frame, I was talking to my neighbor lady who is in her 80's. When she heard him say his name, she said she knew him too and that he was a woodworker and had made her kitchen cabinets! She told me that if I had asked her first, she could have told me exactly who he was! lol


Anyhow........I just love the tramp art look of this frame!! I took it apart and the man that I used to babysit for had a scrap piece of oak veneered paneling that he cut to fit for me. I painted the frame black and sanded all the edges to give it that timeworn look and painted the inside a gorgeous Halloween orange....So now I just need to get busy and paint something on it!

I LOVE finding little treasures like this to paint on. This frame would have possibly ended up in someone's trash.......and that would have made me clear sick! All the time that was put into making it........cutting out all those little notches, the sanding, the finishing.......even the back has little wooden strips that were cut to fit and tacked into place to hold the picture in. Not like today's Made in China frames. This is pure art and I for one, truly appreciate the craftmanship that went into it.

SO stay tuned to see what I paint on it. I promise to share with you all! =o)

11 comments:

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

Holy Lori...that frame is worth a lot more...tramp art is so collectible. Great find, can't wait to see what you put in it. susan

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

hope your not going to paint that frame...you know what they say about refinished antiques. hee hee...susan

Tina said...

I can't wait to see what you are going to do with this wonderful find.
It's so great.
T

vintagepaletteart said...

Thanks Susan.....and yes, I already painted it black. My guess is that it's only about 50-60 years old. Not made of cigar boxes either like all the original tramp art was. Aren't those the ones that are worth alot more.......and most of them have a gorgeous dark patina to them. This one didn't have that.

vintagepaletteart said...

Hi Tina.......stay tuned! How's your back feeling today?

Kingfisher Farm said...

Its still fabulous Lori!!! Go for it!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Popping in to say hello Nana & wish you a wonderful weekend!

Chris :-)

XOXO

Lauralee said...

Hello there. I just came across your blog. I think it is very interesting and creative and like it very much. Feel free to come check out my little artsy blog if you'd like.

vintagepaletteart said...

Thank you Chris and Lee Beth! =o) I will have to stop by and visit!

Jo James said...

Fabulous frame, Lorikins!

vintagepaletteart said...

Thank you Joee! =o)